Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Quinn forget the past and take Keane

Video Safari

New Sunderland boss Roy Keane has admitted he had intended to wait longer before stepping into the world of football management.

Former Manchester United captain Keane took over the Black Cats following their victory against West Brom on Monday.
And the former Republic of Ireland skipper said: "When I retired I thought I'd have one or two years out of the game but after going on my 'A' badge course and being on the training pitch with people I thought 'I think this is for me'.
"I thought I had to give it a go. If it doesn't work out at least I can say I did that, if I hadn't taken it I may have looked back in six months.''
Keane also revealed he did speak with Niall Quinn about the possibility of taking over earlier in the summer.
He said: "Three months ago I spoke with the owners and Niall but my priority at that time was to start working on getting my coaching badge in July and August.
"In that time they didn't get a manager. They came back in last Monday when I was in Portugal and initially I thought I was going to wait longer. But I thought 'what am I waiting for, the challenge is there'.
"Sunderland is a big club, with a beautiful stadium, a big fan base and I thought 'why not?"'
Niall Quinn has laughed off suggestions of a lingering feud with new Sunderland boss Roy Keane.
Keane famously branded Quinn "a muppet" and "a coward" in his autobiography for failing to back him over his vicious tirade at manager Mick McCarthy during the Republic of Ireland's World Cup training camp in Saipan four years ago.
However, any dispute appears to have been forgotten as the pair attempt to steer Sunderland back into the Premiership.
"All managers and chairmen have rows," smiled Quinn.
"We just got all ours out of the way over the last few years."