Sunday, August 13, 2006

Henry hails Cesc

Video Safari

Thierry Henry has lavished praise on team-mate Cesc Fabregas, and singled him out as a key reason why Arsenal can challenge Premiership champions Chelsea this season.
The 19-year-old was heavily linked with a move to Real Madrid earlier in the summer following a sparkling campaign with The Gunners last term, but he has decided that his future lies at The Emirates Stadium.
And Henry believes that he is more than ready to pick up the mantle of midfield powerhouse Patrick Vieira, who inspired Arsenal to many successes before departing for Juventus a year ago.
"Patrick was a fantastic player but we can't keep talking about him. He is gone and Cesc is now in his place, and the boy is something special," hailed Henry.
"Cesc is amazing. I thought he was just a kid but I have seen him develop as a player and I can honestly say I have never seen anything like it.
"Now I would say he is the heart of our team, everything revolves around him.
"That is incredible for a player so young but, then again, he is so mature that he loves the responsibility."
Henry feels that Fabregas, who scored two goals in the UEFA Champions League qualifying victory over Dinamo Zagreb last week, is even more important to Arsenal than he is.
"Midfield is where you win or lose games. People can talk about me and the goals, but if you're not strong enough through the midfield then nothing happens," he explained.
"That's why Cesc has become so important to us. Look at him against Dinamo Zagreb in midweek - that is the kind of responsibility he takes upon himself.
"He has grown as a player and I'm so pleased he didn't leave Arsenal, even though Madrid came in for him."
Henry is confident that Arsenal have the quality in their ranks to topple Chelsea this season, even though he has a huge amount of respect for The Blues.
"When people ask me who I think will win The Premiership I automatically say Arsenal - there is no doubt in my mind," he said.
"Chelsea are a fantastic team, no doubt about that, but people will have to look at us and say we are a very difficult side to beat.
"I don't know how much
Manchester United will miss Ruud van Nistelrooy until we're into the season, but they have lost a player who scored 20 goals every season.
"People talk about Chelsea's money, but
money only gets you so far - being a great team takes you the rest of the way.
"That's what we have to match if we want to be champions, and I believe we can do that."