Friday, July 07, 2006

Kompany: Chelsea 'a factory'

Video Safari

New Hamburg signing Vincent Kompany has explained why he rejected Chelsea, claiming the Premiership champions are 'a factory'.
Chelsea had been long-term admirers of the Belgium international and had made a concerted effort to sign the defender.
Kompany settled his future last month by joining Hamburg in a £5 million deal from Anderlecht and he is delighted with his choice.
Though he has not ruled out joining The Blues later in his career, Kompany feels the current regime made it easy for him to reject a switch to Stamford Bridge.
"Chelsea came in for me a year-and-a-half ago, but I refused, although I could have doubled what I had at Anderlecht," said Kompany.
"But I am not crazy, I saw enough examples of others.
"Chelsea are a factory. I do not doubt my qualities to make it at Chelsea, it is possible to still go there later.
"But I would rather never go to Chelsea, than go at a bad moment."
A string of leading European clubs, such as Manchester United, Arsenal, Barcelona and Real Madrid, have held an interest in the young stopper.
Kompany confirmed the list of his admirers, but outlined the reasons why he joined Hamburg, who are aiming to displace Bayern Munich as Bundesliga champions.
He added: "This club has drive. The infrastructure is almost futuristic. I thought the gym at Anderlecht stuck out, but it is nothing compared to what they have here.
"And look at the players. They are young and quick - Wicky, Boulahrouz, Mahdavikia - this team is young and ambitious.
"I have taken this decision concerning my future and no one else. People wanted to push me in all kinds of directions - to Chelsea, Manchester United, Barcelona, Real Madrid.
"But I wanted, especially, a championship in which I could take a large step forward. On a sport and financial level Hamburg, for me, was the most interesting."
Kompany also hit out at Lyon for the way the French champions conducted their interest and he feels moving to Stade Gerland would have been a mistake.
"It was a question of philosophy. A club which has been champions five times in a row stands, for me, on a decreasing, rather than rising, line.
"The players who are there have become used to being champions.
"I also felt a certain arrogance in the conversations with Lyon. The small Vincent from small Belgium who had to be content that he could come to play at Lyon.
"That also became clear from the financial proposal."