Friday, July 07, 2006

French hero Henry scoffs at Italian defence myth

Video Safari

France's World Cup star Thierry Henry says he no fears of Italy's rock-solid defence.

Henry is not buying into the myth of invincibility surrounding the Azzurri - and he points to his European record with Arsenal as the basis for his unshakeable confidence.
Henry said: "People talk about how difficult it is to score against Italian defenders. But I didn't have trouble scoring against Italian teams in the Champions League, so I don't see why it should be different this time.
"I constantly hear this talk about their defenders. Yet the reason they don't concede goals is because they defend as a team, not because Cannavaro or Marco Materazzi are great players."
He added: "A month ago it was the Champions League final for me. Now it is the World Cup final and, this time, I want the right ending. It was a difficult season for me at Arsenal but the way it has ended has been amazing."