Sunday, August 27, 2006

Zambrotta feels betrayed

Video Safari

Barcelona fullback Gianluca Zambrotta says he'd rather be playing in Italy!
"I am not a mercenary," he told Tuttosport. "I gave my heart to Juve for seven years and never thought I'd see two of the Scudetti wiped from my record. I feel betrayed by the former directors."

The World Cup winner has joined Barca along with Lilian Thuram, while ex-Bianconeri teammates Fabio Cannavaro, Emerson, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Patrick Vieira have also moved on following the Calciopoli scandal.
Juventus saw the 2004-05 and 2005-06 titles revoked, the team demoted and ordered to start the new season in Serie B with a 17-point handicap for match-fixing allegations aimed at former directors Luciano Moggi and Antonio Giraudo.
This week new President Giovanni Cobolli Gigli told newspapers he was "let down" by Zambrotta and Cannavaro for deciding to jump ship.
"I was very upset by that statement," responded the full-back. "It wasn't fair on me. When I explained to the new directors, just the once, that I wasn't too sure I wanted to play in Serie B, they immediately set up this move to Barcelona. The reason is they already had an agreement with the Spanish side, whereas my agent had spoken to me about Milan. I had to adapt."
The former Bari man also pointed out the scorn aimed in his direction was misplaced following his departure.
"The fans are calling us traitors and mercenaries, but I gave everything to Juventus for seven years. The old club hierarchy really let me down and I never expected to leave Turin in these circumstances."
However, unlike Alessandro Del Piero, Zambrotta refused to criticise ex-Juventus Coach Fabio Capello for his two years at the club.
"Everyone is
free to have their own opinion, but I always got on well with Capello and have no complaints. Perhaps Del Piero just needed to get something off his chest."