Monday, August 14, 2006

Cannavaro urges Mexes, Chivu to join Real Madrid

Video Safari

New Real Madrid defender Fabio Cannavaro has urged Roma pair Cristian Chivu and Philippe Mexes to join him in Spain.
The two players have been heavily linked to the Spaniards this week, as it's claimed they are top of Capello's wish-list after the arrival of Cannavaro and his ex-Juventus teammate Emerson.

"I am a Real Madrid player and it is the Coach who decides these matters, but Mexes and Chivu are two excellent defenders. They proved their worth in Italy and would certainly do well in Madrid," he told AS.
Cannavaro added: "I am happy that, even if I arrived late to training because of the World Cup, I am still keeping up with my teammates. I think this is a good squad."
No longer accompanied by Gigi Buffon, Lilian Thuram and Gianluca Zambrotta - the defensive line-up that excelled at Juventus under Capello - Cannavaro urged Real Madrid to take on a new mentality.
"Sergio Ramos is a player who has all the right physical characteristics to do well, but he has a long way to go. Regardless of individuals, I have to be clear: the entire squad has to help out in defence."