Monday, August 14, 2006

Arsenal's Henry: I'm a stranger in France

Video Safari

Thierry Henry believes he has become a stranger in his own land - and feels French people do not have an accurate view of him.
The 28-year-old Arsenal captain is a regular international but he believes the years he has spent abroad, firstly for a few months in Italy with Juventus and then seven trophy-laden seasons at Arsenal, mean the French people do not have an accurate view of him.

Speaking at the launch of the latest of those, having joined sports brand Reebok, he said: "I don't have any problems with the way I am perceived here but I do in France because they don't know me really because I left the country early.
"They don't know that off the pitch I am never serious, I am always joking.
"I know it is difficult to believe because when I see myself on the pitch I can't believe how serious I look. But that's the way I am and I will never change.
"Off the pitch I am not the same guy you see on the pitch. I am chilled and laid-back. It must be my West Indian roots."
And Henry revealed his association with the capital was likely to be an even more lengthy one as he intended to remain in London once his playing career was over.
He said: "London is my home. I love London and I will never leave here whatever happens. I am proud of it. It is never easy for someone from abroad to come and be accepted."
Henry's wife Nicole is English - the pair met filming an advert - and the couple have a one-year-old daughter Tea.