Monday, July 03, 2006

Ronaldo: No Rooney apology

Video Safari

Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo insists he has nothing to apologise to team-mate Wayne Rooney about.
Ronaldo was first on the scene after Rooney's clash with Ricardo Carvalho during England's World Cup quarter final defeat to Portugal on Saturday.
The United winger appeared to ask referee Horacio Elizondo to take action against Rooney and indeed he did as he sent the English striker off.
Reports have suggested that Rooney was incandescent with rage after England bowed out and that he tried to confront Ronaldo - who scored the winner in the penalty shoot-out.
Ronaldo, who over the weekend confirmed he had held talks with one of Real Madrid's presidential candidates, says he will be speaking to Rooney - but not to apologise.
"People are saying the referee gave a red card because I spoke with him and asked him to show a red card - but that is not true," he said in the Daily Express.
"It was not my fault. I spoke with Rio Ferdinand and Gary Neville and they did not have a problem with me.
"I did not get the chance to speak to Wayne, I will phone him.
"But why would I feel sorry for him? I don't feel sorry for Wayne.
"This is a time to congratulate Portugal and celebrate our victory. We will enjoy this party."
Ronaldo's Portuguese colleague Ricardo insists Rooney only has himself to blame.
"There is always the idea if finding a scapegoat but I don't think the referee sent of Rooney because Ronaldo forced him to do it," he said.
"The referee had an eye out for violent conduct."