Sunday, July 02, 2006

Sven: Don't kill off Rooney

Video Safari

Sven Goran Eriksson has urged England not to make Wayne Rooney a scapegoat following the Manchester United man's sending-off against Portugal.

Rooney was dismissed for stamping on Ricardo Carvalho in the quarter final clash and, although England were valiant in their efforts with ten-men, it was Portugal that progressed courtesy of penalties.

The petulance shown by Rooney echoes David Beckham's against Argentina in the 1998 World Cup when he too saw red, but Eriksson has pleaded with the English public and press to show understanding.

In his final press conference as England manager, the studious Swede spoke of the importance of protecting Rooney rather than criticising the starlet.

"I think that you, much more than me, need Wayne Rooney," said Eriksson.

"He is the golden boy of English football, so don't kill him.

"If he did it with intention or not, leave it - you need him for the qualification games and to win Euro 2008. I have no hard feelings."

Eriksson revealed that he spoke to referee Horacio Elizondo at the final whistle, and that after their discussion he accepted what the official had to say about Rooney's sending-off with 'no complaints'.

"I spoke to Wayne after the game and he had no intention to do it," Eriksson added.

"I went to the referee to speak and he was 100 percent sure it was a red card. He told me he hit the other player and where he was hit so I can't complain about that.

"I think the pressure was put on by himself. He missed some of the golden touches because he had not played for a while.

"That is normal and I told him every day, 'don't blame yourself'.

"Your touch, when you have been away takes time to come back. I always told him he would score the winning goal in the World Cup final but unfortunately we are not there."

When reflecting on his time at the helm Eriksson asked to be judged as a coach who did his utmost for the cause, although conceding that he knew questions would be raised about his overall record.

"I wish to be judged as an honest man who tried to do his best, that's it. It's whether three quarter-finals is good enough,'' he concluded.

"I think the first two were good enough but this is not good enough. When you see the teams in the semi-finals we should be there and I am sorry for all England and fans we are not there.

"We had a very good chance and didn't take it. The opportunity was there, I am sorry about that.

"I think England will have opportunities in the future, they have a lot of good players. The future is good.

"I think it would have been very difficult to stay in the job after only getting to the quarter-finals. It is time for a new face.

"It has been fantastic and I have enjoyed every day of it. I have always been proud of having this job and always had a good relationship with the players.

"I have never regretted it, I have always been very proud."