Sunday, July 02, 2006

Beckham stands down as captain

Video Safari

David Beckham has announced he is to stand down as England captain following the Three Lions' disappointing World Cup exit.
An emotional Beckham, who was holding back the tears as he delivered the news at a press conference, described the move as 'the most difficult decision of my life'.
The Real Madrid midfielder revealed that it had long been his intention to relinquish the captaincy after this summer's tournament and that his decision was not a knee-jerk reaction to the penalty shoot-out defeat to Portugal.
Beckham has already declared his intention to further his England career but Sunday's announcement has drawn a line under the 31-year-old's near six-year tenure as captain.
"It was the greatest honour of my career when [former England caretaker manager] Peter Taylor made me England captain and I fulfilled the England dream," Beckham told Sky Sports News.
"It has been an honour and privilege to captain my country but, having been captain for 58 of my 95 caps, I feel the time is right to pass on the armband as we enter a new era under [new coach] Steve McClaren.
"This is the most difficult decision of my career and I came to it some time ago, but I hoped to leave on the back of a successful World Cup. Sadly it was not to be."
Outgoing manager Sven Goran Eriksson hailed Beckham's leadership and has backed the former captain to remain an integral part of England's side, with or without the armband.
"It's very much up to him and you have to accept it," Eriksson said. "The important thing was that he didn't resign as a player. "He's been the captain for almost six years and maybe he thinks it's enough."