Monday, July 03, 2006

Gerrard blasts Ronaldo

Video Safari

Steven Gerrard has slammed the conduct of Cristiano Ronaldo for his role in Wayne Rooney's red card.
Rooney was sent off during England's World Cup quarter final defeat to Portugal after stamping on Ricardo Carvalho.
As referee Horatio Elizondo stood over the incident, Ronaldo came up to the official to remonstrate over the actions of his Manchester United team-mate.
Ronaldo was then pushed by Rooney before the England striker was dismissed for his initial altercation with Carvalho.
The actions of Ronaldo have drawn heavy criticism and Gerrard was fuming with the Portuguese winger.
"If it was one of my team-mates, I'd be absolutely disgusted in him because there's no need for that," said Gerrard.
"I've seen Ronaldo going over giving the card and I think he's bang out of order."
Television cameras also caught Ronaldo winking at the Portuguese dugout after Rooney's sending off, with Gerrard again infuriated by his Premiership rival.
The Liverpool captain added: "I think that sums him up as a person.
"If I was playing against my team-mates from Liverpool and they were involved in a situation like that, I'd never try and get them sent off."
Gerrard was later one of the players to miss in the penalty shoot-out, as England lost to Portugal in the same fashion for the second tournament in a row.
He remains disappointed with his spot kick, which was saved by Ricardo, and is still devastated by England's World Cup exit.
He continued: "I just can't get the penalty out of my head. I feel numb at the minute.
"I was man enough to step up and take it, but, the way I hit a ball, I should score a penalty.
"It never went exactly where I wanted it to go. I've taken maybe 20 or 30 penalties and I've probably scored 95 percent of them.
"I tried to do what I did for Liverpool in the FA Cup final, but my strike wasn't good enough."