Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Portsmouth to go as high as £10M for Fernandes

Video Safari

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp is ready to go as high as £10 million for Benfica midfielder Manuel Fernandes.

The Benfica midfielder, 20, has been dubbed the new Claude Makelele by Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho.
Pompey chief executive Peter Storrie will fly to Portugal to conclude the deal - which will eclipse the club's previous record signing of £4.1m paid in January for Zimbabwe striker Benjani.
Fratton Park boss Harry Redknapp said: "Fernandes is a very talented player. He has played for the Portuguese national team which shows he has ability."
Benfica president Luis Filipe Vieira has agreed a deal and said: "I'm awaiting a definitive solution in the next few days."
Fernandes said: "Moving to the Premier League is a great opportunity for me.
"It should be settled in two to three days. I believe I could do well because the way I play is similar to the British style."