Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Landzaat seals Wigan move

Video Safari

Wigan Athletic have completed the signing of Holland World Cup midfielder Denny Landzaat from AZ Alkmaar.
The former Ajax and Willem II man joins the Premiership club in a deal believed to be around £3 million.
The 30-year-old has passed a medical and signed a three-year contract with The Latics to become Paul Jewell's fourth summer signing.
Wigan beat off interest from Spanish club Espanyol to secure the services of Landzaat, having helped AZ challenge the dominance of Dutch giants Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV Eindhoven in the Eredivisie in the past two seasons.
The former AZ skipper was delighted to make his first move abroad to English football.
"I am really happy about coming to England," he told Wigan's official website.
"I have talked to a lot of my colleagues in the international team about Wigan and I know exactly what kind of club I am joining and what they have achieved over the past few years.
"I liked Paul Jewell when I met him and what he had to say about the game and the club and his plans for the future.
"Playing in England has always been a big ambition of mine and now I just can't wait to get started, meet all my new team-mates and get ready for the season."