Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Donadoni wants to keep Totti

Video Safari

New Italy coach Roberto Donadoni is hoping to convince Francesco Totti to continue playing for his country.
Roma star Totti is considering his international future after helping them secure World Cup glory earlier this month.
Donadoni, who was officially unveiled on Tuesday, admitted one of his first tasks was to talk with Totti to discuss his future.
"I will speak to Totti," Donadoni said. "He is indispensable and he is still young.
"I will try to understand what his intentions are, but it's clear that we need players like him in the national team and I hope he finally decides to remain."
Former Milan hero Donadoni knows he has a tough challenge on his hands to replace Marcello Lippi.
"It's a huge responsibility," added Donadoni.
"But it's better to have won the World Cup trophy rather than nothing."
Donadoni admitted he does not plan to make changes to the Italy set-up, as he prepares to guide them in their Euro 2008 qualifying campaign.
"I already have a certain idea about how I want us to play," said Donadoni. "I want to provide continuity to the work of Lippi, even if I obviously also want to add my own touch.
"I haven't had chance to speak to Lippi yet but I will do. That is one of the first tasks which I have set myself."