Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Bent signs new deal

Video Safari

Darren Bent has ended speculation over his future by signing a new deal at Charlton.
The striker's future has been the subject of intense debate for some time with a number of clubs keen on signing him.
The likes of Tottenham, Newcastle and Liverpool were all thought to be keen on luring Bent away from The Valley.
However, Addicks chairman Richard Murray was eager to keep hold of the former Ipswich man and has tied him down to a new four-year deal.
Bent, who was surprisingly left out of England's World Cup squad, was delighted to end the speculation over his future.
"I am delighted to bring to an end all the press speculation about my future," Bent told the club's official website.
"Richard Murray knows that I am committed to this club and although I am flattered to be linked with the biggest clubs in the country I owe Charlton a lot after they gave me my chance in The Premiership and the fans have been right behind me since I joined.
"I have also been hugely impressed with our new manager Iain Dowie and his ideas, as well as Les Reed and Mark Robson.
"I have a good feeling about this season and if I can match what I achieved last season I will be delighted."
The news is a massive boost for new Charlton boss Dowie, who expressed his delight at hearing of Bent's new contract.
"This is fantastic news for the club and I think the chairman is to be congratulated on securing Darren's signature for the next four years," said Dowie.
"I want to build a young exciting team at Charlton around individuals like Darren who have a great desire to play for the club and are desperate to learn, to develop their game and to achieve success with the club."