Sunday, July 09, 2006

Portsmouth boss Redknapp confirms Petrov pursuit

Video Safari

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp has confirmed the club are increasing their bid for want-away Celtic midfielder Stilian Petrov.

Manager Gordon Strachan is fighting to keep the 27-year-old but more transfer money from Portsmouth is set to convince him that he is better letting an unhappy player leave.
Redknapp said: "Our chief executive Peter Storrie was dealing with the bid and I don't know exactly how much it was worth but I do know it was being submitted.
"I don't know where it has gone from there. We decided to give it another go with Stilian because I'd really like to get him.
"It is entirely up to Celtic what happens with the bid and I wouldn't tell them what they should do.
"If we can agree a price, I would very much like to get a deal done."