Thursday, June 29, 2006

Tevez desperate to make mark for Argentina

Video Safari

Carlos Tevez is itching to make his mark for Argentina in the World Cup.
Ahead of their quarterfinal against Germany, Corinthians ace Tevez declared: "We'll have to play with guts. I don't fear them, though they will want to roll us over. They are hosts and will have to show what they have got.
"They will pressure us and try not to let us play. They know if they do we can make it difficult for them."

Tevez, 22, along with exciting teenage midfielder Lionel Messi, has played mostly from the bench so far.
Yet he remains sure he can still make an impact on the competition, adding: "In the last Copa America in 2004, I didn't start. But I played in the last two or three games and played very well.
"I don't give up. If I play, I'll do my best, as I don't know if I'll get to play in another World Cup."
Messi, 19, revealed that the whole of the Argentinian squad will be behind whatever starting line-up is picked by boss Jose Pekerman.
He said: "We're here to do our best, whether we play or have to be on the bench."
The Barcelona star knows the Germans will be tough opponents to see off.
He added: "They are complicated to beat, both in defence and attack.
"We should play as we know, with the ball on the grass, not use aerial play. They have tall defenders."