Sunday, September 03, 2006

Totti claims Roma is not good enough

Video Safari

Roma captain Francesco Totti says they're not good enough to win the title this season.
"I don't want to take anybody for a ride," he stated on Friday. "Inter and Milan have more players than us. We can only work hard to reduce the gap between us and them."

Nevertheless, Totti confirmed that he was satisfied with the clubs market moves following the captures of David Pizarro and Mirko Vucinic.
"I am not complaining about our summer signings," he noted. "With the
money the club had I can say they did a fairly good job, I am happy with the players Roma have bought."
Totti has featured in Roma's pre-season plans but concedes that the road to full recovery, after his ankle break in February, is still a long one.
"Until 10 days ago I couldn't even kick the ball, but things are much better now," he stated. "I also spoke to Coach Luciano Spalletti and confirmed that I would like to play upfront as a lone striker."
Totti has been omitted from the Italian squad for the Euro 2008 qualifiers against Lithuania and France, but says he will return after snubbing international retirement.
"I will come back next year and I told [boss Roberto] Donadoni that I need a break," he stated.
"I have given so much to the Nazionale and I want to return only when I feel that I am in the right condition to do so.
"I will have time to think about my international future and decide what I really want to do, but this has nothing to do with the fact that Antonio Cassano is back in the squad."