Monday, September 18, 2006

Campbell unhappy with McClaren reply

Video Safari

Portsmouth defender Sol Campbell admits he's unhappy with the way he was told by England boss Steve McClaren he wasn't in his squad for last month's friendly against Greece.

The new national boss simply left a brief message on Campbell's answerphone to let him know he had been dumped.
And that was it. After 10 years and 69 caps, the veteran of three World Cups and two European Championships was out.
Campbell revealed: "He left one message on the answer machine to tell me I wasn't in the first squad for the Greece game. That was it.
"Maybe he could have done it differently. I have 69 caps. But that's the way he runs the show now."
Yet even now Campbell refuses to give up hope of wearing the Three Lions again.
And his starring role in helping Portsmouth's shock charge to the top of the Premiership has convinced the former Arsenal rock he still has plenty more to offer his country.
He said: "It's not up to me if I can still play for England.
"All I can do is perform to my best for Portsmouth. Whatever will be, will be.
"But I would never turn my back on England. I've been through too much for that to ever happen."