Sunday, September 17, 2006

Keane says he's not influential

Video Safari

Roy Keane admits in his final days at Manchester United he had lost the dressing room.

In an interview with the Sunday Times Magazine, the Sunderland manager said: "In terms of dominating, I was losing it. It might have been something the normal fan wouldn't recognise, but I did. I was always my own judge, sometimes harsh, but in the end I wasn't quite at the races. By the end of my time there, a lot of the players didn't like me. They had just had enough of me. They were ready for a new voice in the changing room."
He disagrees with Sir Alex Ferguson's description of him as the most influential player in the club's history.
Keane maintains: "I've never believed that one individual can have that much influence on a team. People used to say this about Eric [Cantona], but I don't get sucked into that. Eric was a major influence at the club but I saw him as a final piece in the jigsaw. He wouldn't have worked if the other pieces weren't in place. You can't look to one player, a Rooney or whoever. You can't have other players thinking, 'Okay, Wayne, go and do it for us. Different people have different jobs, some more glamorous than others."