Monday, September 18, 2006

Roeder apologized to West Ham fans

Video Safari

Newcastle United boss Glenn Roeder has apologised to Upton Park fans after visibly celebrating with the away support his team's 2-0 win yesterday.
Roeder was making his first return as a manager to the club that released him in August 2003 after a torrid few months that had seen the Hammers relegated from the Premiership and Roeder undergo brain surgery.

Having booed him at the start, the home fans' anger boiled over near the end following goals from Damien Duff and Obafemi Martins when Roeder repeatedly waved to the away support in the Centenary Stand.
A number of West Ham fans surged towards the dugout shouting abuse at Roeder with security staff rapidly becoming involved on the touchline.
Roeder said: "I apologise if I have upset the West Ham crowd and I obviously did. I did nothing more than any other opposing manager would do when his own supporters are cheering his name.
"Our supporters are the best in the country. They travel everywhere and are starved of success. They carried on singing my name and I carried on waving to them.
"I will put my reputation on the line - that Glenn Roeder has never been involved in causing any trouble. I'm not an excitable person. It was completely unintentional."