Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Shevchenko's Chelsea kiss angers AC Milan fans

Video Safari

Andriy Shevchenko has defended his kissing of the Chelsea badge after scoring in Sunday's Community Shield defeat to Liverpool.
Fans in Milan have jammed radio phone-ins, claiming his actions showed a lack of respect after seven years at the club.

He declared: "Normally, I only ever kiss the shirt of my country.
"I wanted to celebrate with the team and I did not know what I was doing.
"I do not want to win over the Chelsea fans with these gestures. I want to win them over with goals and the quality of my football.
"I am sorry my goal was not enough against Liverpool. But it was my first goal for the club, which was important. I am glad I scored. Hopefully, I can go on to score more.
"To play in Cardiff was a nice experience. I was struck by the public and the respect they gave to the players.
"The atmosphere was great. Compared to Italy and the Ukraine, it was very different.
"The team has really welcomed me. My English at the moment is not too good but I am taking lessons and I hope I will improve very soon.
"I love London. It is a fantastic city. I have not seen many of the landmarks but I would like to in the near future."
Sheva added: "I don't like diving or cheating.
"I don't think people in England like it either. I have never cheated and I don't ever want to do so."