Wednesday, August 02, 2006

McClaren: I'm doing it my way

Video Safari

Steve McClaren has vowed to be a completely different England coach to his predecessor Sven Goran Eriksson.
The 45-year-old arrived at Soho Square for his first day in his new job on Tuesday morning and immediately set his stall out.
Though McClaren was Eriksson's right-hand man for the past five years, he insists a new era will be ushered in during his tenure.
McClaren is relishing the challenge of managing his country and is champing at the bit to put his own plans in place.
Speaking upon his arrival at FA headquarters, the ex-Middlesbrough boss pledged to stamp his own mark on the England team.
"It's very exciting, I can't wait to actually get started," McClaren told Sky Sports News.
"I'm starting a great challenge and a great adventure.
"I'm totally different to Sven and his five years. I'm going to do it my way.
"I'm going to be different from Sven, but I'll be judged on what I do and I'll start looking forward to the big challenge."
McClaren's first tasks will be to select a squad for the friendly against Greece at Old Trafford on August 16, name a new captain and settle upon his backroom staff.
With the new Premiership season yet to start by that date, McClaren will be left with the choice of sticking with the World Cup squad, or gambling on untried players.
He also has to replace David Beckham as skipper, with Chelsea defender John Terry and Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard the front-runners for the job.
No decisions have yet been made by McClaren, who admits he will not rush into appointing The Three Lions' next captain.
He concluded: "Individuals and smaller details we'll get to later."