Thursday, July 13, 2006

Hamann snub Bolton for Man City

Video Safari

Dietmar Hamann has elaborated on his decision to turn his back on Bolton in favour of Manchester City, with the Germany midfielder stating his happiness at The Trotters' decision not to hold him to the contract he signed with them this summer.
The midfielder ended a turbulent couple of days when signing a two-year deal at Eastlands on Wednesday.
Hamann's former club Liverpool announced on Tuesday that the veteran had inked a deal at Bolton, comments which were quickly played down by The Trotters.
The fog threatening to envelop the German was lifted on Wednesday when he joined City and he has now elaborated on the recent events.
Hamann has denied signing a deal with Bolton this week, saying he penned a contract with The Trotters over a month ago before quickly realising he had made a mistake.
"It sounds like I made a decision to go to Bolton yesterday, but turned round and told them I was not coming," he told Sky Sports News. "But this is not the case.
"I signed for Bolton four or five weeks ago, but realised a few days later that I made the mistake, that I made the wrong decision.
"I made the decision too quick because it was only the day before that I left Liverpool. I informed the club a few days later that I would like to go somewhere else if possible, that I had made a mistake.
"And after a week the club told me I was open to speak to other clubs. There were a few clubs interested, Man City was one of them, and I am here now."
Hamann feels he was right to leave Liverpool and is looking forward to starting a new chapter in his career at City.
"I was at Liverpool for seven years and I had one year left, I had a word with the gaffer and decided it was the time to move," he added.
"I had the offer from Bolton for a few weeks and thought it was the right thing to do. But after going on holiday I felt it wasn't the right decision. It is something I have got to live with and they allowed me to speak to other clubs.
"As soon as I heard Man City was interested I made my mind up pretty quickly and I am happy to be here now."
Hamann is happy with how Bolton dealt with the problem.
"We found a solution everyone can live with," he stated.
"I regret making that mistake, but you make them in life and I am happy we found a solution which everyone is reasonably happy with."