Thursday, July 13, 2006

Zidane confirms mother, sister taunts

Video Safari

Zinedine Zidane has confirmed Marco Materazzi insulted his mother and his sister before he headbutted the Italian in the World Cup final.

He said: "He grabbed my shirt and I told him to stop. I told him if he wanted I'd swap it with him at the end of the match.
"That is when he said some very hard words, which were harder than gestures. He repeated them several times. It all happened very quickly and he spoke about things which hurt me deep down.
"They were very serious things, very personal things."
Asked if Materazzi said "things about your mother and sister two or three times", Zidane replied: "Yes. I reacted and of course it is not a gesture you should do. I must say that strongly.
"It was seen by two or three billion people watching on television and millions and millions of children.
"It was an inexcusable gesture and to them, and the people in education whose job it is to show children what they should and shouldn't do, I want to apologise."