Thursday, July 13, 2006

World Cup winner Lippi steps down as Italy coach

Video Safari

Marcello Lippi has resigned as Italy head coach just days after winning his country's fourth World Cup in Germany.

Lippi had made suggestions he would step down from the Italy hot-seat after being questioned by prosecutors regarding the corruption scandal currently plaguing the domestic game.
The 58-year-old, who has since been linked with a role at Premiership giants Manchester United, believed the time was right to walk away from his country's national team.
"After the conclusion of an extraordinary professional and human experience during my time guiding this group of players, I believe my role as coach of the national team is over," Lippi said in a statement on the Italian Football Federation (FIGC)'s official website.
"I have therefore announced to the FIGC my wish to leave the post as national coach when the contract expires.
"I would like to thank the FIGC for the trust they have given me in the last two years I have worked for them."