Sunday, July 16, 2006

Donadoni: Took minutes to accept Italy job

Video Safari

Roberto Donadoni has revealed it took him only minutes to accept the Italy coaching job.
"It all happened in just a few moments. I'm happy and excited, but I must stay calm," the 42-year-old said.
"A handshake was all that was needed with [FIGC commissioner] Guido Rossi. We spoke about a number of issues, but not financial ones which really don't matter right now."

Donadoni is set to meet with Rossi on Tuesday where he will draw up a contract and agree on a backroom staff who will accompany him on his adventure. He'll then be unveiled to the media.
"I'm very proud of this appointment and I know that there is some hard work ahead of me," added the former Lecco, Genoa and Livorno boss.
Donadoni has been in pole position to succeed Lippi for some time now, even if he concedes he knew nothing until the start of this week.
"I kept reading my name in the papers, but I didn't hear from anyone in the Federation until the day after the World Cup Final," he added.