Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Blackburn clinch deal for Wigan's Roberts

Video Safari

Blackburn Rovers have completed the signing of Wigan striker Jason Roberts.
The former West Brom star has signed a four-year deal at Rovers after agreeing personal terms and passing a medical.
Roberts had been seeking a move away from Wigan for the last month after turning down a new deal at The JJB Stadium - he was Latics highest scorer last season with 14 goals.

The Grenada international striker said, "It has been a bit of a whirlwind in terms of getting down here and signing and doing the medical, but I've known about the interest for a while and I always thought it was a dream move for me and I'm just really happy that it has come through."
Rovers beat a host of clubs to the signature of Roberts, who had no hesitation in choosing the Ewood Park side over competing clubs.
"The stature of the club, UEFA cup football, coming sixth in the league last season, the manager, the players, I've played against Rovers twice last year and they were fantastic, they are all reasons why I have signed.
"I'm really looking forward to playing."
He now can't wait to get started for his new club.
"First and foremost I want to help the team and be part of a successful team because that is the most important thing, if I can get my fair share of goals as well then that will be a big consideration. I want to be part of a successful team which this is.
"One of my goals as a footballer was to play in Europe regularly, to play UEFA cup football this year will be a big thing for me, so I've got to work hard and try to get myself in the team."