Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Blackburn complete Jeffers signing

Video Safari

Blackburn have completed the signing of Francis Jeffers on a free transfer from Charlton, handing the 25-year-old striker a two-year contract.

"It has been a busy couple of days but what a fantastic move for me, I can't wait," Jeffers told Blackburn's official website. "I spoke to a number of clubs but once I spoke to (Blackburn manager) Mark (Hughes) my mind was made up as to where I would go. Exciting times for me definitely.
"I've had a difficult couple of years but I've no doubt that I can do it given a fair crack of the whip here I'm sure I can get back to my best and take this club forward."
But by his own admission things have not worked out for Jeffers since his £8million move from Everton to Arsenal in 2001.
Injuries plagued his spell with Arsenal, whilst he found his chances limited at The Valley.
"Mark has played with the player, and coach Eddie (Niedzwiecki) knows him from his time at Arsenal," said chairman John Williams. "Francis has signed a heavily incentivised contract for the player to perform."