Saturday, September 09, 2006

I forgive Arsenal...Cole

Video Safari

New Chelsea signing Ashley Cole says he will "forgive" Arsenal.

Cole is accused of stabbing the Gunners in the back to secure his ?20million move to Stamford Bridge in one of the bitterest transfer sagas ever.
He broke Premier League rules by holding talks with the Blues without permission - yet claims it was Arsenal who suggested he join Chelsea.
And the England left-back has blasted his old club in his forthcoming autobiography.
Yet he insists: "I'll forgive them.
"I don't think I got respected or held in as high regard as I thought I deserved at Arsenal.
"For me it's about respect. I gave everything in my heart to Arsenal and was honest when I was there.
"People think I'm a greedy pig but it is nothing like that. I'm a genuine want-to-win-things kind of person."
Cole will make his Chelsea debut in today's home match against Charlton after agreeing a ?90,000-a-week deal with the Premiership champions.
He said: "Two years ago, I had a meeting with Arsene Wenger and he said 'Look, we will give you a year and hopefully we can build bridges with you and resurrect something'.
"But after that year I didn't think I was wanted, to be honest. I thought it was time for me to go.
"We had another meeting before I went to the World Cup and I said 'I don't think I can stay here'.
"He said to me 'Have you got any clubs where you want to go?'
"I said: 'I leave it to you'.
"He mentioned Chelsea and that was about it."