Monday, September 11, 2006

Cole reveal the reason he left Gunners

Video Safari

Ashley Cole has admitted Arsenal's favourable treatment of Thierry Henry was one of the reasons why he wanted to leave the club for Chelsea.
In an extract from his book, 'My Defence', serialised in The Times, the difference in how he was treated compared to Henry appeared to be one of the main reasons for him to seek a transfer.

He said: "The club made Thierry feel wanted and special, wooing him, wining and dining him, speaking in public about how much they want him to stay, going on a deliberate charm offensive.
"But me? I didn't have one dinner, one meeting or one
phone call from anyone. That's not sour grapes, it's just a sad truth. The truth is that the Gunners had done nothing all season to hold on to me."
He added: "My worst fears were confirmed when, as Thierry and I sat in the centre circle after the final whistle, his name was sung from the rooftops while my contribution was recognised by a deafening silence.
"As his chants faded away we waited for mine. And we waited. And there was nothing. 'They're not bothered about me', I said, resigned to the fact. It was like I was the invisible man."
Cole was offered a new £60,000-a-week deal in 2004 but when negotiations opened, the figure had dropped by £5,000, with the defender adding: "At a board meeting held two days before our 1-0 away defeat at Bolton in January, it was decided the maximum offer should be £55,000 a week.
"I don't believe the board gave a damn about keeping me. It preferred to haggle over a difference of £5,000."