Monday, August 28, 2006

Woodgate is coming home

Video Safari

Jonathan Woodgate has confirmed that he is on his way back to England.
The Real Madrid ace has been told by the Spanish giants that they want him to get regular first team football and he is ready to seal a switch back to The Premiership in the coming days.
Real have accepted at least one
loan offer, as skysports.com can confirm that Middlesbrough have indeed made a move for the Teesside-born player.
Former club Newcastle also appear to be keen, while Arsenal are also being strongly linked to make a move - but Liverpool ruled themselves out of the running on Friday.
Woodgate himself has accepted the fact he will be spending next season in The Premiership.
"I am going away to play on
loan for a year, in the next few hours I will know which team I will be playing for," he said.
"All the English that want me I like, and it will be a positive thing for me to return to England.
"I need to play
games in order to prove I am strong and that I am totally recovered from injury, but here [Spain] it is hard to get continuity.
"It is better that I have one season playing in England and in one year I will return to Madrid and demonstrate that I am good football player."
Injuries have limited Woodgate to just nine league starts since his move £13.5 million from Newcastle in 2004.
Real still see a future for Woodgate but they want him to prove his
fitness - although reports are suggesting that they will look to seal a deal for Roma star Cristian Chivu of Roma.
Chivu could arrive to help bolster Real's squad whilst Woodgate is away and then in 12 months the Englishman could compete for a place in Fabio Capello's squad.
Woodgate is expected to be involved for Real in Saturday's clash with Villarreal before sealing his move back to England.