Friday, August 11, 2006

Terry named England skipper

Video Safari

Chelsea defender John Terry has been named as the new captain of England.
Terry succeeds David Beckham as skipper after the Real Madrid star stepped down from the role following England's elimination to Portugal at the World Cup.
McClaren has been weighing up his options on who could replace Beckham and Terry will be given the job of leading England for the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign.
Terry beat the likes of Liverpool's Steven Gerrard and Gary Neville of Manchester United to the prestigious role.
The 25-year-old has matured into one of the best defenders in world football and has skippered Chelsea to two successive Premiership titles.
Terry has also established himself as a cornerstone of the national team in the last few seasons and his leadership qualities have impressed McClaren.
Terry hailed his appointment as England's new skipper, speaking of his delight at McClaren's decision.
"It is the ultimate honour to be the captain of your country and I am very proud to be given this great opportunity," Terry told the FA's official website.
"It is an incredible challenge and one I am looking forward to very much."
McClaren has also decided to hand Gerrard the vice-captaincy and he admitted it was a tough decision between Terry and Gerrard.
"Choosing a captain is one of the most important decisions a coach has to make," said McClaren.
"I'm certain I've got the right man in John Terry. I'm convinced he will prove to be one of the best captains England has ever had.
"John has all the attributes an international captain needs: leadership, authority, courage, ability, tactical awareness and a total refusal to accept second-best.
"He has been an inspiration for Chelsea and is at his best in adversity.
"Over the five years I've been involved with the England coaching set-up I've seen first hand the respect that John has among his fellow players.
"There are a number of strong leaders in the squad and he will not lack support on and off the pitch.
"Steven Gerrard was a strong candidate for the captaincy and he will be my vice-captain. He is an outstanding player and another superb club skipper who also leads by example.
"I told Steven when I spoke to him today that I'm sure he will also get the chance to lead his country while I'm head coach."