Saturday, August 19, 2006

New Liverpool signing Kuyt: I can handle pressure

Video Safari

New Liverpool striker Dirk Kuyt says he can handle the pressure that comes with moving to Anfield.
The 26-year-old passed a
medical on Thursday before completing a deal which is believed to be worth about ?10m.

Kuyt said he was not worried by the pressure of joining Liverpool and added: I have scored plenty of goals in Holland and aim to do the same here.
"It is not important who scores as long as the team wins. But I know I can score goals and make goals and I expect to score a lot of goals in England."
Reds boss Rafael Benitez told Liverpool's official
website he was delighted to sign Kuyt and added: "He will be a good player for us.
"He's a player with good
game intelligence. He knows what to do with the ball and without the ball and he's also a very good worker."
Feyenoord were desperate to hold on to the striker, who appeared for Holland at the World Cup, but admitted defeat on Thursday.
Benitez added: "His movement is good, his finishing is fantastic and I know he will score a lot of goals for us because we now have more possibilities in the wide areas and also between the lines."
Kuyt previously said Liverpool were the club he had dreamed about joining.
"For me, Liverpool is sure to be the dream club I was looking for," Kuyt told the Reds' website.
"There was more interest from abroad, but for me there was nothing of the calibre of Liverpool, a brilliant club with an enormous reputation."
He added that Dutch coach Marco van Basten also recommended that he should join the Anfield side.
"He thinks I have become too big for football in Holland and I need a move to a bigger club. And he thinks Liverpool is a good club for me," added Kuyt.