Friday, August 18, 2006

Liverpool skipper Gerrard "loved" England role

Video Safari

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard admits he "loved" his new role with England this week.
England chief Steve McClaren finally gave Gerrard freedom to roam in Wednesday's 4-0 win and he repaid that new faith with an outstanding display.
It was a performance which made fools of all those who felt the Anfield captain could not play in the same side as Frank Lampard.

Yet he insisted: "I know what people are going to say about me playing on the right. I'm Steven Gerrard, though, not David Beckham and I will always try and do my best.
"I am a lot different from David, a different type of player. But it does feel natural for me in that position, as I have played there so much for Liverpool.
"It's not alien to me. I know the movements and it is just great to be able to get forward. I think that is the first time in a long time I have really enjoyed myself out there."
Under Sven Goran Eriksson, Gerrard often found his natural game stifled.
He was forced to play a rigid role, rather than the pop-up-anywhere, free rein he has for his club.
It led to Gerrard's most satisfying performance in an England shirt - and one which left him full of praise for McClaren's new approach.
He added: "I really enjoyed it. It was a similar role to the one I played in for Liverpool for the majority of last season, so I knew what the boss wanted me to do.
"He told me a few days ago he wanted me to get forward, play with freedom and not to be scared to try things.
"That is what I did and, thankfully, it worked out.
"I loved it, to be honest. That's me, getting forward, breaking forward and being free. I really enjoyed it.
"I wouldn't say it is a completely free role. I still have a responsibility to get back and help Gary Neville. But when the manager pulled me over a few days ago, he said he wants me to start doing for England what I've been doing for Liverpool. And that is bombing forward and playing with freedom.
"It's important we bring our club form into these internationals and it's also important we start playing like a team. I think we have been guilty in the past of playing too individually and it hasn't worked out.
"Against Greece, I think you saw a good team performance from the start of the game to the finish. We passed the ball well, played at a high tempo and now we have set a standard that we need to maintain for the future.
"There was more balance to the side.
"We caught Greece cold and started really high.
"I think we had the right blend and balance, which is what the manager has gone on record as saying he wants. That's what he got."
Yet for all the new-found optimism suddenly flooding through the England ranks, Gerrard was quick to admit it was nothing more than the fans deserved after the agonies of the World Cup flop in Germany just a couple of months ago.
He declared: "Everyone is still hurting from the World Cup and it was important we put on a good show against Greece.
"We put the supporters through enough pain in the summer and it was vital to put on a show for them. It is a fresh start."