Monday, August 28, 2006

Makelele cools down rift

Video Safari

Claude Makelele has moved to calm the war of words that is currently simmering between Chelsea coach Jose Mourinho and his France counterpart Raymond Domenech.
Mourinho is enraged at the fact Makelele has been called up for France's upcoming Euro 2008 qualifiers against
Georgia and Italy, despite retiring from international football after the World Cup.
The 33-year-old, who remains instrumental for both club and country, had decided to hang up his illustrious international boots following France's World Cup final defeat to Italy.
However, Les Bleus coach Domenech has warned Chelsea that should Makelele fail to make himself available then he could be banned for four domestic matches.
Mourinho has since claimed France are treating his player like a 'slave' after launching a vitriolic attack in the direction of Domenech.
In a
bid to quell any further discord Makelele has suggested Mourinho's words were perhaps, on reflection, a little too strong.
"The words of my coach are a little strong," he told
TV channel TPS star. "He probably went too far.
"He expresses himself in a different way when he talks. But his disappointment is logical.
"There was an agreement after the World Cup for me to quit the national team. But I talked with the national coach.
"He believes I am still able to bring something. I have absolutely nothing against him. I am back with the national team.
"Of course it is a difficult situation, because I will play more matches and so will be more tired. But I am on the list. I am forced to go."
While Makelele has conceded it will be a drain on his energy to play both domestically and internationally, he insists it remains very much an honour to represent his country.
"The French team remains something huge to me," he added. "Everyone knows me. Above all I am a professional. I do my job.
"Even if my club doesn’t agree, I will humbly honour that call. It is normal to wear my country’s shirt."