Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Ballack to put team first

Video Safari

Michael Ballack insists he has no qualms about no longer being the leader following his move to Chelsea.
The Germany international completed a lucrative Bosman move to the Premiership champions from Bayern Munich earlier in the summer.
At Bayern, the midfielder was the captain and heartbeat of the team, but heads to Stamford Bridge to join a star-studded cast list.
John Terry is the undisputed skipper of the side, Andrei Shevchenko has been brought in at great expense, while Frank Lampard has been the midfield driving force.
Ballack insists he is happy to be playing alongside other pre-eminent names and has vowed to put the team first.
"It's not a problem for me," said Ballack.
"I know at Bayern Munich I was the leader, but I really don't mind being more part of a greater team.
"You can see bigger teams like Brazil have a lot of stars, but they still manage to play well together as a team."
Blues boss Jose Mourinho is likely to look to Ballack and Lampard to provide the impetus from midfield and the new signing is relishing the chance to work in tandem with the England international, brushing off suggestions the two will tread on each other's toes.
He added: "I think he's a great player, but with every team I've played in, I've always been alongside other big players.
"It's never been a problem."
Ballack has yet to win the UEFA Champions League during a glittering career and concedes that is a prime target for the coming season.
"It's definitely one of my biggest ambitions," he continued.
"It's not the only goal. I have to focus on every match and the domestic league, but it's definitely a challenge for me."