Sunday, July 09, 2006

Zizou attempts to keep lid on final hype

Video Safari

Zinedine Zidane has attempted to play down the hype surrounding his last ever performance in professional football as Les Bleus take on Italy in the World Cup final on Sunday.

The 34 year old has provoked a renaissance in his form during the tournament in Germany.
"People are always asking me about this World Cup being emotional or special because of my retirement, but there is nothing special happening around me concerning this being my last World Cup," Zidane is quoted as saying in the Daily Star.
"I don't want to be special, I don't want to be talked about as a separate part from the group.
"I'm in the group with my team-mates, I'm focused on the competition and there is a good spirit in the team.
"I have good memories of 1998 and to raise the trophy again would be very special.
"It's going to be very, very difficult and we are going to have to be at the top of our game but we have the weapons to do it."