Sunday, July 30, 2006

Shevchenko: AC Milan Calciopoli involvement shocked me

Video Safari

Chelsea signing Andriy Shevchenko admits he was shocked to see former club AC Milan involved in Italy's Calciopoli scandal.

Shevchenko insisted the timing of his departure had nothing to do with Milan being punished and maintains that no player should be accused of any wrongdoing.
He told the Mirror: "It's very difficult for me to understand what has occurred in Italy. When I reflect back upon the games now, it's hard for me to believe that there was something behind what the players were doing on the field.
"From my experience of playing with and against every player, they all gave their maximum on the field to win the game. For me it's very difficult to understand how this could have happened.
"I'm happy on a personal level that the sentence was reduced for Milan and that they will play in the Champions League.
"I don't believe that the sentence is correct, but certainly the original sentence was too aggressive."