Saturday, July 29, 2006

Van Nistelrooy: I didn't want to leave Man Utd

Video Safari

New Real Madrid signing Ruud van Nistelrooy insists he never wanted to leave Manchester United.
The Dutch striker, 30, completed his cut-price £10.3million switch to Real Madrid yesterday and could not hide his pain at leaving United.
But Van Nistelrooy made it clear he had to escape Old Trafford boss Sir Alex Ferguson after their relationship broke down.
He said: "It's got nothing to do with the club, fans, players or anything else.
"It was because of the manager that it was better for me to leave.
"The relationship with the manager ended. He did a lot for me and that is why it was so painful when it went wrong because I care a lot about him.
"He gave me the chance to play at the best level I have ever played at and at the greatest club. Whatever happened, happened and that relationship came to an end.
"My affection and appreciation towards the fans and everyone at the club will be for ever - it's part of me.
"I was there for five incredible years and I will carry that with me for the rest of my life. The fans embraced me and they never let go."
Fergie's harsh treatment of Van Nistelrooy mirrors his fall-out with David Beckham before he was sold to Real in 2003.
Van Nistelrooy admitted he was gutted when Becks was shown the door but now he cannot wait to get on the end of his old pal's crosses.
The Dutchman said: "It's great to be reunited with Beckham. The two seasons I played with him at United were incredible and I missed him a lot."