Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Rooney wanted showdown with Man Utd pal Ronaldo

Video Safari

Wayne Rooney attempted to confront Manchester United teammate Cristiano Ronaldo at the end of England's penalty shootout defeat against Portugal on Saturday, it has been revealed.

The Times says Rooney was so aggrieved with Ronaldo that he attempted to confront him in the players' tunnel after he had scored his decisive penalty, yet talk of a disagreement has been discounted by both players.
"I would like to make it clear that there is no problem at all between me and Rooney," Ronaldo said. "I insist: no problem at all. At the end of the game, we exchanged a series of text messages just as we had the day before.
"This reinforces that I have a fine relationship with Rooney. Between the two of us, everything is clear. In fact, he didn't just send me congratulations for going forward in the World Cup, he also told me we have a great team and if we carry on as we have, we will go a long way. He wasn't angry with me or about anything that happened. And more: he told me to ignore things written in the English media."