Saturday, July 01, 2006

Riquelme confirms United offer

Video Safari

Argentina playmaker Juan Roman Riquelme has confirmed that Manchester United have made a sizeable bid for his services.
The classy Villarreal star is also believed to be a target for Internazionale but made the revelation from his country's training camp ahead of their World Cup quarter final with hosts Germany.
Riquelme starred in Villarreal's march to the UEFA Champions League semi-finals, including emerging from United's group, before missing a crucial last minute penalty that would have secured extra time against Arsenal.
The South American has been one of the star performers in Germany this summer and is rated as one of the best midfielders on the planet.
"My future is to think about Friday's game and to enjoy the World Cup," he told Radio La Red.
"Later, with Villarreal, I am very comfortable. If the club decides they are going to sell me, I will have to think what do about my future but that depends on my club.
"Inter? I am happy they can have an interest but, today, I am in a city where they give me great affection and where I have gained the respect of European football. That is very important for me.
"The club is growing. As far as offers are concerned, I know that Manchester have offered I don't know how many millions but Villarreal said that I was not for sale."
United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is determined to sign a new midfielder and is primed to make his moves in the transfer market.