Monday, July 31, 2006

Ref: Rooney like a big kid

Video Safari

The ref that sent-off Manchester United star Wayne Rooney during the World Cup has told the striker to stop moaning.

Horacio Elizondo sent off the England striker for stamping on Ricardo Carvalho's groin in the quarter-final defeat to Portugal.
Elizondo revealed: "Rooney was complaining all the time, always coming close to you and saying 'Referee this, referee that'.
"Protests and more protests - he reminded me of my kids!"
Elizondo also claimed then-England boss Sven Goran Eriksson came to see him in the dressing room after losing on penalties.
The ref said: "He wanted to congratulate us. I really appreciated that. We chatted and he mentioned the red card. 'Rooney stamped on him, didn't he?' he asked. I nodded.
"He told me: 'I can't understand how a professional player can react like that'. Then he left."