Monday, July 31, 2006

Liverpool's Gerrard: I envy Terry

Video Safari

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard admits he is jealous of the success enjoyed by Chelsea counterpart John Terry.

The influential England midfielder has seen international team-mate Terry lift the Premiership trophy twice in as many years and he has clearly found the Londoners' monopoly of the top prize painful.
''The Premiership is the one trophy I really want to get my hands on,'' said Gerrard.
''I've seen John Terry lift it for the last two years and, while I'm happy for him because he's a good mate, there is also a bit of jealously there because I want to do the same.
''It's important for me, but it's more important for a club like Liverpool to be champions again.
''It's been too long for a club like this and it hasn't been easy seeing other teams in the title race while you've fallen too far behind.
''It is a very painful thing for a Liverpool captain to admit, but that's why the title would mean so much to me.''