Friday, June 30, 2006

Whelan: Stupid Eriksson!

Video Safari

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has branded Sven Goran Eriksson's selection of Theo Walcott for the World Cup as 'stupid'.
Eriksson is left with just Wayne Rooney and Peter Crouch as viable selections in attack following the knee injury suffered by Michael Owen against Sweden last week.
Walcott was selected ahead of Premiership regulars Darren Bent and Jermain Defoe, despite never playing in England's top-flight, a decision that looks like haunting the Swede with just three fit strikers available.
Many were critical of the selection of the Arsenal teenager before the tournament but Whelan has again slammed the England head coach for the decision.
"Well to take the young boy is absolutely an insult to the game," Whelan told Sky Sports News.
"It's an insult to the youngster and so embarrassing for him not to have been on the field in a Premier League match.
"I think he's only played six games in The Championship and to pull the lad out of a situation like that to drop him in the goldfish bowl of England I think is most unfair on that youngster.
"For him it's total stupidity because he's lost a striker, we've lost Owen and have no replacement. I just think it's come home to roost with him, an absolutely stupid selection in the first place."
Whelan has also hit out at Eriksson's continued fascination with selecting David Beckham, despite his poor form so far in Germany, and believes it has been proven on numerous occasions in the past that a midfield with him, Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard does not work.
"David Beckham has been and still is a very great player in certain areas but playing for England he hasn't performed over the last six games. A normal manager would've left him out but Sven seems to worship Beckham," Whelan continued.
"He's his captain, I think everybody knows he's not a real leader like Terry so why he does that I don't know but he seems to pick Beckham first choice. The first name on the sheet will be Beckham.
"We've never played well when we've had Beckham with Lampard and Gerrard on the field. Those three have never hit it off in any matches I've watched or seen.
"Why it is I don't know because two of the midfielders are outstanding for their clubs. Beckham hasn't played very well which is very strange.
"I think against Portugal you have got to go straight for the heart, say we're going to beat you and go 4-3-3.
"We seem to play 4-5-1 where we've got Rooney on his own up there and I feel so sorry for the lad, he just runs his heart out and he's on his own up there.
"He needs support and I'm sure Sven can see that and I just hope he selects the right team and we beat Portugal."
However, although unhappy with many aspects of Eriksson's decisions, Whelan says he will be the first to congratulate him should he guide England to World Cup success.
"I hope he makes us eat our words. I have been one of his biggest critics," he added.
"I hope he gets to the final and we would then say 'sorry Sven you've done it'. I hope from the heart that comes off and I'm saying to Sven 'well done lad' but I have grave doubts on that with his selections and substitutions."