Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Roma's Totti: I turned down Chelsea

Video Safari

Roma and Italy star Francesco Totti has revealed he turned down an offer from Chelsea.

Totti, 29, was approached shortly after Jose Mourinho replaced Claudio Ranieri at Stamford Bridge in 2004.
But Roman Abramovich's millions failed to persuade Roma to part with the striker.
Totti, who scored Italy's last-gasp winner against Australia on Monday, told The Sun: "Chelsea came to me with a lot of money but I didn't accept it.
"Some representatives made me an offer and they approached Roma.
"The club said I was not for sale, so there was no decision for me to make."
Totti also insists he would not contemplate trading Serie A for the Premiership.
He added: "I have never wanted to play in the Premiership as I'm not a great fan of English football.
"I am used to Italian football and it is different to the English style of play - I prefer the Italian way."