Wednesday, June 28, 2006

France star Henry blasts: I'm no CHEAT!

Video Safari

Thierry Henry has denied cheating after France's controversial 3-1 win over Spain last night.
Patrick Vieira's 83rd-minute goal came after superstar striker Henry won a highly controversial free-kick.

Arsenal ace Henry fell to the floor clutching his face following a challenge from Carles Puyol, sparking claims he faked injury. But Henry later insisted that he was no cheat.
Spanish boss Luis Aragones fumed: "Henry went down holding his face. But I did not see any contact with his face and my team ended up getting punished for that."
Even the Frenchman's Gunners team-mate Cesc Fabregas said: "It was no foul and the referee should not have given it."
Earlier, TV pundit Ruud Gullit rapped Henry. He said: "I am a little bit disappointed. It shows that cheating works."
His fellow ITV summariser Terry Venables declared: "He has behaved very poorly and he will suffer after that."
But Henry hit back: "I know what happened and I never go down easy. I am not a guy who cheats.
"You can ask Puyol whether I cheated. He came up to me afterwards to apologise.
"At the end of the day, Pernia the left- back was going to get the ball easily. I don't know why Puyol left his position and came into me.
"If that's cheating then . . . . You know me back in England. I don't go down easily but people can say whatever they want to say about me.
"I can look at the replay. I'd be happy to do it. Puyol left his position and came right into my face with his shoulder.
"If we were playing basketball, it would have been a good block. But we were playing football."
Henry was equally unhappy at the way Spain fans booed the French national anthem pre-match.
He added: "Our anthem was booed, something we have not seen so far at this World Cup.
"Our fans did not boo when the Spain anthem was played. What Spain fans did needs talking about. It should be looked into."