Friday, August 25, 2006

Martins the new No9

Video Safari

Obafemi Martins feels no pressure after taking over Alan Shearer's Newcastle United No9 jersey.

Nigerian hitman Martins, who last night completed his £10million move to Toon, revealed wearing Shearer's famous No 9 will inspire him to become a Toon legend.
Martins, 21, said: "I prefer No 9 and I was so happy when I learned the manager was willing to give it to me.
"I'm not trying to measure up myself with Shearer because he is a legend at Newcastle.
"But wearing his jersey will give me more motivation and hopefully I can enjoy the same success."
Roeder is still battling to come to terms with Shearer's retirement and losing Michael Owen for the season with a knee injury.
Martins was paraded in front of a half-full St James' before last night's qualifying round second-leg clash.
New-boy Martins could make his debut in Sunday's Premiership clash at Aston Villa.
And the former Inter Milan ace says he is all set to take the Premiership by storm.
He added: "I'm looking forward to my first match and I think the confidence placed in me by everybody at the club will be turned into superb performances.
"I'm here to score goals. Playing well will be a plus, a kind of bonus.
"I've always wanted to play in the Premiership. It is a long dream that has been fulfilled.
"Back home in Nigeria, we are first introduced to the Premiership as teenagers playing street football. There are various fan clubs there, supporting one English club or another. I hope my coming here will make people back home form a fans club for Newcastle.
"I speak English back home in Nigeria. Therefore England is like playing at home. I have so many friends here and would not need to learn the language. If I'm bored I'll call Daniel Shittu, Mikel Obi, Yobo or Kanu. They will look after me."