Saturday, August 12, 2006

Door still ajar for Becks

Video Safari

Steve McClaren claims the England door is not closed to David Beckham, but hinted the former captain will struggle to reach the 100-cap mark.
Beckham relinquished his role as captain of England after the World Cup finals and McClaren opted to make a clean break by omitting him from his first squad for next week's friendly with Greece.
McClaren claims Beckham took the decision well and vowed to fight on, but hinted he may find it hard to regain his place in the fold.
"I spoke with David last Monday and notified him of my decision and told him I was planning for the future, looking to change things and looking to go in a different direction and David wasn't included within that," McClaren told Sky Sports News.
"David, I have great respect for him. He was a fantastic captain for England, a great player and still is a great player and he took the news very well even though he was disappointed.
"I got the reaction which I wanted, which was he will continue to fight for his place.
"I will never close the door, it will never be closed and that was the end of the conversation."
Beckham has 94 caps to his name and when asked whether the Real Madrid man would get the chance to add to his tally, McClaren added: "At the present moment I am looking to take this team in a different direction.
"It is a new beginning, a clean sheet of paper and is why I decided not to pick David Beckham."