Saturday, August 12, 2006

El Tel unveiled by England

Video Safari

Terry Venables has been unveiled as England's new assistant manager.
The former England manager has been tipped for the role for some time and he will now be Steve McClaren's right-hand man.
McClaren was keen to have an experienced coach alongside him as he prepares for the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign and Venables fits the bill.
Venables was in charge of England for two years helping them to reach the semi-finals of Euro 1996.
Venables is looking forward to working alongside McClaren in the new-look England set-up
"It is obviously different to what I've done before," said Venables.
"I can lend my experience and leadership qualities to Steve and make his job easier.
"I think the two of us together and the rest of the staff have got a great chance to go forwards.
"I am not looking to be a rival. I am looking to help Steve.
"We will get the balance right. I will give him my feelings straight out and then it's up to him to come up the answers. He's the head coach."
McClaren hailed the appointment of Venables and believes he is the right man to help him.
"To help the team win it helps to have good people around you," said McClaren.
""I wanted to pick someone who is tactically astute, knows football inside out and can give the best advice.
"I wanted him to be experienced at this level and someone the players can learn from and respect. I am delighted to get Terry Venables."